Tuesday, August 19, 2014

My 50 Things ...

Some people view "knocking over another decade" as a milestone ... I am the opposite.  The one birthday that I truly considered my "milestone" has come & gone. I won't clutter this post with links, but a few posts from August 2012 and 2013 give some details on my "milestone" birthday and the events that led to it being my milestone.

Now my 50th birthday is coming around very soon ... in less than a week. So, in honor of the "big 5-0" I've written 50 things I am grateful for & what I consider as blessings.  There's been lots of changes & transitions in our household lately, so I'm looking at this next chapter positively.  After all, God breathed the promise that He would work all things for the good for His children. And, as I am a child of God -- I can not only count my blessings but I can also see when things weren't necessarily a piece of cake to live through ... but He turned those into the good for where I am now. 
 
These are not in any certain order of importance or my gratitude for them, they are simply "some" of the things I am grateful for ... this list does not cover everything I'm thankful for either.  I will say that the most important blessing to me is the blood of Jesus Christ -- God's one & only beloved Son -- who took the punishment for my sin so that I would live eternally with Him. Every of thing on this list stems from God's mercy & grace to me through Jesus Christ.

And so ... here it goes:

~~~ Our family's little "holler" where I grew up having my parents, my Granny, cousins, aunts & uncles all around me -- Granny's house in the center (and my sister coming along almost 9 years after me)
~~~ The close-knit community I grew up in {a community which had a population small enough that we all knew each other's families}
~~~ My hometown church where I was baptized in the creek that ran behind it
~~~ My Granny's front porch where the grown-ups would swing on the porch while all us kids would play in Granny's front yard
~~~ My Granny's back porch where memories were shared & made ... from the glider to the swing to the rocks to the trees -- and the old well-pump house stood to the side
~~~ Teachers who were family or friends, and probably had taught other family members -- and knew all families of their students
~~~ My Granny's gardens where I would work alongside to help plant & harvest vegetables/flowers


~~~ Memories of good times growing up in our little corner of country-life
~~~ The old dipper of Granny's that was used to water her flowers as well as hung over her kitchen sink so that all of us could use to get a drink of water when we wanted
~~~ Wisdom gained throughout the years ... even through some tough lessons
along the way
~~~ Swimming in the creek across the road and the old swinging bridge that crossed the creek & bike rides with my uncle leading the way
~~~ Relationship values ... family values ... Christ-centered life
~~~ The little blonde girl who always dreamed ... and still dreams as
she approaches her 50th
~~~ Friends who walked alongside during the crazy years & stayed around for years to come

 
~~~ For God's grace during life-changing crises
~~~ For dirt roads that teach us more of life's lessons than we imagine
~~~ For best friends' parents who become just like 2nd parents
~~~ For technology that has brought many new friendships into my life
~~~ Today ... these truly are the "good ol' days"
 ~~~ New community with new opportunities & the city that would be now known as "home"
~~~ Circles of friends to share with as our kids grew up in our church ministries


~~~ Reconciliation ... restoration ... redemption
~~~ God's unending mercies & grace when we had all but given up
~~~ Hometown pastors who were more than pastors -- and counted as life-long friends always
~~~ Nail-scarred hands to welcome loved ones who are still missed everyday
~~~ For pursuing the dreams that God had instilled & knowing we walked in His center
~~~ For the miracle of life when the doctor gave no hope of becoming parents
~~~ For the promise that He will work all things for my good since I am His child
~~~ Laughter, giggles & chaos as well as quiet times
~~~ Walt Disney's vision of family fun togetherness
~~~ Being stretched beyond my comfort zone when sometimes I'd rather become a recluse


~~~ Social media reconnecting me with old friends
~~~ Work ethic, character & integrity (hopefully mine as a positive)
~~~ For hiking the hillsides of my country community
~~~ Birthdays & celebrations ... anniversaries & births ... weddings & reunions
~~~ Out of the whole world, my country is the United States of America
~~~ Those who have prayed, sustained and held up the arms of our kids especially during these past 2 1/2 years
~~~ For the Internet that provides reconnection with life-long friends


~~~ Friends who simply walk alongside me although we may be miles apart or just do not get together as often as in the past
~~~ Past friendships that may have been for a season ... but will always be with me
~~~ God's unfailing grace toward me ... although I sometimes fall short of extending grace to others
~~~ My daughter Jacqueline & the heritage of her namesake of her great-aunt
~~~ My 2 grandchildren Lucy & Tag who carry family names & heritage to pass down to future generations
~~~ My Mother who taught a very young girl to pray
~~~ My Daddy who taught that young girl that your character matters
~~~ Challenges that grow me ... and peace that sustains me
~~~ My Granny ... who was always there for me


~~~ Changing seasons that illustrate so vividly that God never leaves us where we are
~~~ My husband who followed God's design for him before he accepted Him ... 
we're going on 31 years together ... and it just gets better
~~~ Every breath is the most precious gift from God ... and not taken for granted

 

These 50 things certainly do not include every detail on my thankfulness ...
but I'm looking forward to sharing more blessings in the posts to come ...

I'm looking forward to "knocking over another decade" very soon!

 
  
 

 
 

No comments: