Monday, November 28, 2011

Theraputic Baking

I don't think it's a secret ... but I LOVE to bake!  I started baking with my Granny when I was just a little girl, then as I got older my Mother & I had special recipes that we loved to bake together.  I still remember baking special cakes with my Mother -- oh, and a homemade glaze that would melt in your mouth! 
Ahhhh, I need to get her recipe box!!!!

So, when my daughter came along our tradition continued.  Christmastime was a special baking time in our household.  Every dessert was homemade ... brownies, cakes, breads, candy, fudge, cookies ... 
(I think I'm packing my 25 lbs back on already :)  
Okay, back to today ... 

And now I have Lucy to continue our family baking tradition.  One of mine & Lucy's favorite treats to bake are cinnamon muffins. 





And of course testing the finished product :)  We sure wouldn't want anyone else to eat them if they didn't taste to perfection.








Christmas baking has already begun in our house.  We took some "brownie bites" over to G-G and Grandpa's house on Saturday.  And Lucy even made a special brownie Christmas tree too!






Of course she HAS to sit on the counter so that she can add her special Christmas sprinkles ... 
     


Lucy is learning to cut with plastic knives, so what better food to "cut" than her Christmas 
tree!







And of course, the "Lucy taste test" ... 
I think it "might have" passed!













There's just something about baking to me.  

It's soothing ... relaxing ... calming ... distraction ... stress-buster ... energizing ... thought-provoking ... 

Sometimes when I just need to get away from the cares of my little piece of the world ... 

I bake.

And when Lucy & Granny meet up tomorrow afternoon?
I think ... 
 
We will bake.  

 





4 comments:

Oklahoma Granny said...

Have a wonderful time baking. Those memories will last a lifetime.

Susan said...

It's a tradition that's been in our family forever ... and what better way to carry it on than with our grands :)

Sheila Atchley said...

Oh Susan, I love this post! I cannot wait to bake with Timothy next Christmas. He's too young this year.

And guess what??? *Squeal* Sarah and Jonathan are expecting! THey just found out this past Wednesday, and asked us to keep it to ourselves until the weekend. EEEEEEEE! I'm so excited. We BOTH are expecting anothe wee one!

I'd so love to meet up someday, and bring our grands. I always love hearing from you, and relish the sweet pictures of Lucy.

Thanks, friend, for being my friend!

Susan said...

Shelia **more squeals** I'm so excited for you!!!! O how our daughters spoil us with these little ones:) One of these days God will make a way for us to meet ... and in the meantime, I need to email you soon.

And I actually started Lucy "baking" when she was still in her high-chair ... of course no "real" sugary stuff, but she enjoyed "stirring" & "tasting" :) Oh how these moments bring smiles to my heart :))))))

Take care, my friend. God truly brought us together in such a way that only HE can take the credit. ****Lots of hugs****