Thursday, June 16, 2011

Character and Integrity

Two words that come to my mind when I think about my Daddy:  character and integrity.  Since I was a child, I've watched my Daddy live out these characteristics -- and is still living them.  Throughout the years, his actions have shown his character of being a hard worker and sticking to it.  For several early years of my life, he and my Mother worked two jobs each to provide and support our family.  No matter what they had to do, they never took "the easy" way out.  

A little illustration of my Daddy being Daddy:  When I was a senior in high school, I wanted to get a job.  Being in the retail business, Daddy got me an application at a grocery store about 25 miles away from home.  It was really no problem driving the two-lane country road back and forth after school and weekends to work.  I had even been able to request "no midnight" shifts since I lived so far away ... except for one night.  I was scheduled to get off work at midnight.  And Daddy insisted on coming in and following me home.  I told him it was not necessary & I would make it home just fine.  Right before my shift ended, I saw my Daddy come in the store.  I will admit, I was a bit miffed at him at the time.  But wouldn't you know, within a few blocks of the store I got a flat tire!  Where would I have gone to if my Daddy hadn't been right behind me?  After he changed my tire, we made it home after 1am, then he was back up by 6am to get ready to start his day at work.  Didn't "sleep-in" or complain -- but was just thankful he was there for me.  And I was thankful too (and still am).

To this day, my Daddy works hard.  He is "semi" retired (whatever that means!), yet he is doing the line of physical work that he did back in his 20s & 30s.  I'm not sure just when he will actually retire, but I do know that I still learn from him. 

I pray that younger Daddy's of today's world will look to these older Daddy's and see just what they are made of: 
Character, integrity, hard-work, steadfastness, dependability, honor ...  
These aren't "old-fashion" values -- they're values of respect for any and all time. 
 
Here is a poem one of our pastor's read on a Father's Day almost 25 years ago.  No matter what day & age ... no matter how society advances ... no matter what kind of Daddy ... the little ones are always watching and following.
 
"Walk a little slower daddy,"
said a child so small.
"I'm following in your footsteps
and I don't want to fall.

Sometimes your steps are very fast,
Sometimes they're hard to see;
So walk a little slower, Daddy,
For you are leading me.

Someday when I'm all grown up,
You're what I want to be;
Then I will have a little child
Who'll want to follow me.

And I would want to lead just right,
And know that I was true;
So, walk a little slower, Daddy,
For I must follow you."
author unknown

Happy Father's Day, Daddy ~~~
I love you! 



Lucy with her Great-Grands Oct '10

First time Grandpa saw his great-granddaughter late Sept '08

No comments: