Wednesday, October 6, 2010

"All Good Things ..."


We’ve all heard the saying "all good things must come to an end".  Oh how true this is! I am preparing for the dissolving of a long-standing friendship of many years.  Over 30 years into a relationship, and I thought this one would last a lifetime.  Just like all relationships, we’ve had to give and take some … but never completely called it quits.  We’ve had a maximum hold on each other for the past several years, but now it’s just time to move on.  Time to break in a new relationship … oh, but the search for the 'perfect match' is the tedious part of the process that I just plain dread.  I feel rejected --betrayed -- all of my dreams now shattered -- the broken promises -- I just don’t know how I’m going to be seen in public without this perfect …

Okay, I’ll just come right out and say it … deep breath, Granny … deep breath.  You can do this – you can just release … it’s really not MY fault at all.  So what if I thought I would be in this relationship (or whatever you want to call it) 'til death do us part'?  I had no idea that was actually 'til discontinuation do us part'! No – not my fault at all.

Oh, did I mention that my favorite hairspray is no more?  I KNOW -- I KNOW  I can’t believe it either! How can a manufacturer just 'discontinue' a whole line of hairspray?  For weeks now I have searched all of the so-called 'big box' stores to no avail – there’s not even a tag on the shelves for my hairspray anymore! How can they call themselves 'big box' when they don’t even have a 'tiny box' of my favorite hairspray?!?!?  It’s a good thing that this ol’ Granny bought up all the cans she could find that had been hidden in the very back of the "new-line" of hairspray.  At least I have a few cans to go through before the search for the perfect hairspray begins … again.  Okay, so this is Wednesday night, so I should have enough to last through – oh my, I need to go out … soon -- at first light in the morning -- before first light!!!! 

I always wanted my hair to look like this (but keeping my natural blonde – well, until "that" age hit several years ago – but that’s for another post).  What manufacturer would have the nerve to tell this lady "Oh, we quit making YOUR favorite line of hairspray. But, feel free to test out any of the others we have that may work for you."



Okay, so I’m definitely not HER and certainly don’t have her hair … which may be a good thing for Granddad’s monthly budget (he already wants me to make a separate line-item for hairspray!!! – yeah, sure Granddad, sure).

In the next week or so Granny will be setting sail on her new voyage – searching for her lasting hairspray-mate.  Until then, well, if you see me out in public … please just smile and nod!


2 comments:

Mrs. G.I. Joe said...

Haha. Well, I know you are heartbroken but these days your hair doesn't need its own zipcode. Embrace it, Mommy :)

Susan said...

I will always miss having my own zipcode ... And Little Missy, I know that you miss your Mommy's big hair days too -- along with my glasses that covered most of my face!