Saturday, April 17, 2010

It's just who we are ...

I was never so proud to be a military mom than yesterday evening.  Granddad and I took the kids out to dinner.  Our daughter & I were walking Lucy the restaurant before our dinner came, and two ladies started talking to them. Turns out that one of them was impressed with Lucy's "baby bag" and was asking questions about it.

When I saw them talking, I decided to go up front with them in case Lucy was getting restless.  As we were talking, I told the ladies that they all live with us for now as our son-in-law is in the military. Immediately one lady said "Oh, I should have saluted him and thanked him for his service."

So, the conversation continued for a few more minutes, and when it was ending the lady came back to her comment.  "I just have to go salute him and tell him how much I appreciate all he's done." I continued to walk Lucy around, and could see this lady at our table talking to GI Joe.  I could also see the pride in Granddad's eyes as this stranger thanked his son for protecting her freedoms. (Yes, GI Joe is more than our son-in-law. When he said "I do" to our daughter, he became our son.)

I've read so many awesome Thank You stories from Mrs GIJoe  and her military community. Thank you's are such a simple gesture, but can confirm to the military families that their service is not in vain.  This lady's simple "thank you" yesterday evening meant so much to me as a military mom.  Not for praise, not for glory, not for recognition.  It's just who we are as a military family.  Or, as GI Joe would say "it's just my job".

No comments: