Thursday, March 5, 2015

On Being Deliberate ...

Sometimes life happens ...
 
okay, every-day life happens!
 
Too often I have simply allowed my days to get away from me.  Being "semi" empty-nesters means that Dan & I have several days to ourselves -- depending on if the kids come down for the weekend or if we just get Lucy for a few days.  Every week can be a different schedule for all of us. Many days I find when I am here at home while Dan is at his office ...
I am cleaning, straightening up from our visits, sorting & organizing, painting (I really have to get back to this project) ... well, you get the picture.  I can allow my days to get away from me without really doing "anything".

 
So this is where I have begun with this year ...
 
on being deliberate
 
Here's a few areas in my everyday life on which I am on a simple endeavor
to be deliberate ... 
  • Time management -- I'm the type of person who has always been task-oriented.  From being a student with class projects, tests, assignments, etc ... to the various jobs I've had in which my daily responsibilities were pretty much laid out ... to my teaching days that I had to plan lessons and teach my kids ................... and now being a stay-at-home wife & Granny -- well, my days can certainly get away from me.  I've made a few little organizational changes that are actually helping me lay out my days more effectively.  There's always always always "things to do" around the house.  But my deliberate "time management" brings my awareness to my forefront on "what" I do with my time ... from my time with God to my chores around the house to my writing & creativity ... so, yes I'm very aware that I'm the type of person who needs to spend my time deliberately.
 

  • Health -- This is the area in which I have been a bit lackadaisical.  I've given up my gym membership because I cannot justify the monthly fee & going only a couple of days a week.  So ... Dan I bought a treadmill and now I can workout anytime at home and watch tv or movies on our own television.  (And I do use it several days a week anytime during the day.)  And I am "more" deliberate on eating more nutritiously ... it's much easier to grab this or grab that, but I truly am more conscious on "what" I  put in my mouth.  {Reading Made to Crave by Lysa TurKeurst has helped me put my eating habits in perspective}.  I'm really not a "creative" cook, but it's fun to try new healthy recipes cooking for two!

  • Mind -- The things I tend to clutter my mind with ... whether it's books, tv, movies, music, Internet ... I am becoming more deliberate with the "things" I put into my brain.  We used to sing this song at church when I was a little girl "O be careful little eyes what you see. O be careful little eyes what you see. For the Father up above is looking down in love. So be careful little eyes what you see."  And then of "little ears what you hear" and "little tongue what you say" and "little hands what you do" and "little feet where you go" and "little heart whom you trust" ... you get the picture.  I've read over and over again Proverbs 16:1-3 {taking an excerpt here but please read the whole chapter} ... The preparations of the heart belong to man, But the answer of the tongue is from the Lord. All the ways of a man are pure in his own eyes, But the Lord weighs the spirits. Commit your works to the Lord, And your thoughts will be established.  Being deliberate in my mind is part of my overall attitude and effects not only me but my husband, family and everybody I come in contact with during the day.  

By no means am I saying that I am "perfect" in all of my deliberations. 
What I am saying is that I am now committing ME to the purpose that God has for me.  
Being deliberate helps me focus on what I do ... what I say ... what I think ...
and it keeps my focus on living to honor the God who created me to be me.
  
 
I hope you stay warm & safe if you are in the middle of this winter storm weather ...
and just remember that after every winter ...
Spring brings a new beginning for growth and promise.
 
Have a blessed week! 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 

1 comment:

Theresa said...

Me too:) I have been retired for 13 years and try really hard to keep busy doing things that actually need doing! I worked all day yesterday sorting my craft supplies and it felt good at the end of the day. Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!