Sunday, January 5, 2014

Looking Forward with Thankfulness

Five days in to the new year ... and I have already been reflecting as well as looking forward.  So far in 2014, I have yet to make it to the gym or even workout at home.   But my goals for this year go beyond a resolution to get healthier & lose weight.  My goals are more internal than external.  
This year of 2014 is a big year for all of us ... we all are moving forward.  So, what better way to begin the new year and each new day than looking inward at my heart attitude?

I haven't normally had a life verse that I cling to during the year, but this year is different.  
And so here is my verse ...



Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, 
therewith to be content.  Philippians 4:11 KJV

This is my verse for the upcoming year ... 
it doesn't matter how much I have or what I have.
I'm content because
Jesus is simply enough.

I'm so very thankful that I don't have to write with flowery words ...
I don't have to be someone that I'm not ...
I don't have to be a Bible scholar ...

Jesus loves me.

Like I said, this is a big year in our household -- 
the 30-50-K:
Dan & I will celebrate our 30th anniversary
I will celebrate my 50th birthday
Lucy will begin Kindergarten

The older I get, the more I realize that it's the everyday that matters most. 
Nothing elaborate, nothing fancy, nothing earth-shattering.

It's the little things in my everyday that makes me thankful --

the little giggles and kisses I get from my grandbabies ...
Tag's "I yuuuv youuuuu, Nanny" ...
Lucy's "you're the best, Nanny" ...



It's the way my husband takes time in the mornings to have breakfast with me ...
the way he has the grandbabies balanced at the kitchen counter trying to eat his dinner ...
the way he says "I love you, Sweetheart" at the end of every day ...


It's the little things in everyday life that matters most ...
 and these little things become the monumental cornerstones in life.

So, with the new year here upon us and just a few days into the freshness of new beginnings ...
I'm already clinging to my verse.  Knowing with open eyes that there will be challenges and trials and hardships to endure ...

but His mercies are new every morning.

And I can do all things that make up my goals' list through Him because He is my strength in the midst of my weaknesses.
I will press onward to meet my external goals but only as my internal goals reflect His greatness and His glory.

Perfect life?
absolutely not ...

Perfect me?
not by a long shot ...

Perfect Savior?
ahhhhhhhh, YES!!!!!!!

Now, without a doubt, I know that I will backslide and not everyday will I cling to this verse.  I know that I will cling to my own flesh and my own wants of my own way.  But His ways are not my ways, and He will give me His peace that will pass my feeble understanding of certain situations that will come my way. 

But, as long as I awake every morning, I will have a brand new day to start again.
And thank God, He will accept me just as I am.

I do look forward to realizing my goals for this year and will endeavor each day to become more like Christ who lives in me.

2014 is the year of our 30-50-K ...

and I thank God He already awaits each new day for me.

 
   



No comments: