Wednesday, August 7, 2013

5 Lessons Granny Learned This Week ...



My Granny always said that the day she stopped learning would be the day she would be Home with her Savior.  
Well, this Granny continues to learn just as her Granny did.
Sometimes these lessons can 
reaffirm what I already know ...
while other lessons can
re-evaluate what I think I've known all the time ...
then there's the lessons that can
be the toughest for me to grasp & understand. 

So here's five lessons I've reaffirmed and learned over the past week:

Making memories with my grandchildren is priceless.
For the past couple of weeks, both Lucy & Tag have been sick with a virus.  It's been a time of cuddling, watching some videos, napping ... a time to just focus on them.  Nothing else in our house matters when these 2 little ones are sick. No matter how old they get, they will always be my grandbabies. 

When I'm focused on God, everything falls together,
But when I lose that focus, everything falls apart.  
That was actually my motto when I taught middle school & high school in a ministry school.  I would tell "my kids" that this doesn't mean that life will be perfect and always go the way I want ... but rather to say that I will live out 
Romans 8:28 and know that God will work it all out for my good.  Just like Peter when he saw Jesus walking on the water -- he had to either focus his eyes on Jesus or he would sink.   If I focus my sights on Him, then I will not sink into whatever situation comes my way in life. 
I am His child -- not the world's child.

I have control over my thoughts & feelings.
Sure satan will try to filter in his agenda to cause me to become doubtful, discouraged, disconnected ... only if I allow it.  I have the power and authority to tell satan to get out of my head.  Jesus told him to get behind Him in the Garden ... I can tell him that my thoughts are off limits to him.  I can turn from the negative and turn to the positive ... 
because greater is He who is in me than he that is in the world (I John 4:4). 

I don't have to wear a cape.
I confess that when I don't accomplish what I want within a certain time frame, I get discouraged.  But I'm learning that I don't have to be superwoman ... God made me to be me.  This lesson kind of ties in the other 3 prior ones.  I've always been my worst critic, so I'm learning more and more to accept me for who I am.  Are there areas that I can improve on? Certainly -- Granny sure doesn't profess to be perfect.  But am I really doing as bad as I think I am? Probably not.  Grandad is helping me to not be so negative on myself.  When he hears me saying something, he will respond by saying 
"I don't want you to talk like that about my wife."  
And if he accepts me, and God accepts me ... 
then I don't have to be superwoman.    

Deep breathing during the day is a necessity of life.
Our household is busy (just like millions of others).  Sometimes I am trying to do 20 things at once ... and sometimes I just simply don't have the faith & trust that things will get done.  And sometimes I forget to just simply breathe ... and realize that things will get done -- maybe not in my time frame, but they will get done.  And then there's times when the aspects of life just weigh heavy.  It's at these times that I just need to remember that deep breathing can 
redirect my focus
reclaim my focus
revive my focus

{And breathing is a good thing}




4 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember your motto from high school, and with everything going on in my life, God needed me to read this today. So, thank you. Now, go back to yoir grandbabies!

Unknown said...

I remember your motto from high school, and with everything going on in my life, God needed me to read this today. So, thank you. Now, go back to yoir grandbabies!

Susan said...

Awwwww, you are so "sweet" Brandy! You know I'm still always here if you need me... and thank you for bringing me a blessing :) I'm praying for you, girl!

:::: God is always good ::::

LOVE, MERCY AND GRACE...GOD'S GRACE said...

Great post! These are things we can all take to heart!