Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Independence Day ... Being Aware

Today I took Lucy back to Walter Reed. It's a trip that she & I have made many times since February.  And as I was driving back home ... alone ... I began to reflect on the past several months since Joe's injuries & Independence Day which we celebrate tomorrow.

I thought about our heroes of yesterday & today ... who have given their dreams & freedoms for me to live out my dreams & enjoy my freedoms.  I've always been patriotic, but this year is different.
 I'm actually more "aware" of my independence & freedoms ... 
I'm more aware of "who" has given their hearts to allow me to follow my heart ... 
I'm more aware of Who my ultimate freedom comes from.

As we all go about our Independence Day activities, I encourage everyone to reflect on those who have served our great country ... 
I encourage you to teach the smallest of children to respect & appreciate those have paved the way for our freedoms ... 
I encourage you to pray for those who serve our great country today -- those in service now (our military, first responders, etc), our wounded warriors & their families, and those who await their next set of orders.

I never want to take my freedoms for granted.  Families have paid the ultimate sacrifice for these freedoms, and they continue to sacrifice.  I've seen many heroes paying the sacrifice over the past several months ... 
they are real people 
they have faces
they are patriots
 
Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.  Galatians 5:1

I'm more aware today than I was four months ago that it's only through Jesus Christ who paid the ultimate sacrifice for my freedom in Him.  I've known this fact for many years ... but I'm more aware of it now. 
His sacrifice flows through my every breath that I breathe through Him
His sacrifice envelops the very core of my existence 
His sacrifice delivers me from bondage to ultimate freedom.

Through Him I have eternal freedom & eternal life ... 
And I will always remember that
Freedom is never free.



Standing on a hillside Where the river meets the sea 
White crosses without number Line the fields of peace 
And each one a silent witness Staring back at me 
Every cross a story Of another place in time 
Where young men thought it worthy To give their life for mine
And for the sake of honor Left their dreams behind 
And for the price they paid I'm forever in their debt
Their memory will not die 'Cause I will not forget 
I will stand and hold my head up high I will dedicate my life 
To the glory of the ones who had to die 
I will live, live what I believe If for no one else but me 
To remember That freedom's never free 

It was on another hillside Outside the city gates 
The battle lines were drawn As soldiers took their place 
The Father watched in silence As a cross was raised 
With freedom drawing closer He took His final breath 
He drank our cup of guilt And took the sting from death 
Heaven's Finest Soldier Clothed in human flesh 
And for the price He paid I'm forever in His debt
The cross will never die 'Cause I will not forget 
I will stand and hold my head up high I will dedicate my life 
To the glory of the One who had to die
I will live, live what I believe If for no one else but me 
I will remember that Freedom's Never Free 
I will walk free I will stay free I will live free I will die free! 

Stand and hold my head up high I will dedicate my life
To the glory of the One who had to die
I will live, live what I believe If for no one else but me
I will remember that Freedom's Never Free

No comments: