Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering September 11



Everyone of us remember where we were ... what we were doing ... and the disbelief.  September 11, 2001 ... a single day in America's history in which each of us can probably recount every single moment of this day ... even if it's a recollection through the fog of confusion.  It's hard to believe that it's been 10 years ... the one day that changed life as we knew it.

Believing it was "just an accident", I went about my planning period before the rest of my day with 7th through 12th graders at our church's private school.  When I got back to my classroom, I turned my tv on and would leave it on for the weeks to come.  My classes and I watched in disbelief ... Why?  How?  What's going on? Are we in danger?  My fellow teachers would bring their classes to my room to watch the news as the events began to unfold ... and still, we were in disbelief.  Watching the horrific pictures ... the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, Shanksville PA ... where next?  

We may not have the answers, but God does ... God is faithful ... God is just.  God was ever so there in New York City, at the Pentagon, and in Shanksville.  I think about the people who were in the World Trade Center going about their workday as usual ... the phone calls that were made to say final goodbyes to their loved ones ... the innocent lives on those two planes who had no idea what was happening.  I think about those who were at their duty stations at the Pentagon ... more than likely their focus had been on the situation in New York ... then tragedy struck them and more innocent lives taken.  I think about Flight 93 ... the phone calls made mid-air ... the selfless act to overtake the terrorists so that no more innocent lives would be taken ... Todd Beamer and the selfless group Let's roll.

There's so much that I am thankful for tonight as I write this post --  my security in Jesus Christ ... the great country that I live in ... those who protect us (military, first responders, police, firefighters, caregivers -- just to name a few).  So many heroes from September 11 ... President George W. Bush as he addressed the nation that we had been attacked.  President Bush was reading to elementary students in Florida when he received word through a whisper in his ear.  He kept his demeanor as not to upset the young students, yet knowing the destruction of that act of terror.  Daddies, Mommies, husbands, wives, grandparents, family members, firefighters, police, neighbors, friends ... And the children ... oh, God's little children whose loved ones are our country's 9-11 heroes.  May God continue to hold and comfort these little children. 

No matter what your religious beliefs nor your political beliefs ... you more than likely remember where you were, what you thought and how you felt on September 11, 2001.  Watching the remembrance tonight ...  reliving that day ... crying through the pictures ... piecing together the timeline.  God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble. Therefore will we not fear, thought the earth do change, And though the mountains be shaken into the heart of the seas; Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, Though the mountains tremble with the swelling thereof. Selah.  

As a follower of Jesus Christ, I am so thankful that even no act of terrorism can destroy or pluck me from the Hand of God.  Reading Psalm 46 (above), my heart begins to race and my blood pressure rises. And then ... Selah ... rest.  God is our Refuge and He is our Strength.  And nothing or no one can EVER take us from the Hand of God.  

In Christ alone my hope is found
He is my light, my strength, my song
This Cornerstone, this solid ground
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm
What heights of love, what depths of peace
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease
My Comforter, my All in All
Here in the love of Christ I stand

In Christ alone, who took on flesh

Fullness of God in helpless babe
This gift of love and righteousness
Scorned by the ones He came to save
'Til on that cross as Jesus died
The wrath of God was satisfied
For every sin on Him was laid
Here in the death of Christ I live

There in the ground His body lay

Light of the world by darkness slain
Then bursting forth in glorious Day
Up from the grave He rose again
And as He stands in victory
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me
For I am His and He is mine
Bought with the precious blood of Christ

No guilt of life, no fear in death

This is the power of Christ in me
From life's first cry to final breath
Jesus commands my destiny
No power of hell, no scheme of man
Can ever pluck me from His hand
'til He returns or calls me home
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand

No comments: