Monday, April 12, 2010

My Six Words ...

Taking the six word memoir challenge was not an easy task.  How could I sum up my life in just six little words.  Okay, some words have more letters than others, but they're still just letters that make up words.  What six words would fit me? Wife, mother, mother-in-law, Granny, daughter, friend  But wait, I'm also granddaughter, sister, aunt, niece, cousin and the list could on.  I'm also God's child, church server, prayer warrior ...

I'm just me --- being where God needs me most.  This may not make sense to many people, but I believe God has me exactly where He needs me most.  Some people may not understand why I do what I do.  Some people may say that I really don't do much at all.  But I believe that I'm doing what God needs me to do in this season of my life.

I would not trade anything right now for the time I get to spend with my granddaughter Lucy.  She is just so amazing!  At almost 19 months old, her vocabulary is growing daily.  The words of today were help, swim and bed.  She knows sign language for please, thank you, you're welcome, I love you, ball, more.  And probably other words that I don't even remember right now.  My heart melts when I hear Nanny!  And that smile and giggle that makes me laugh because she's laughing ... Oh, Lucy! You are such a delight in our lives.

God also has me volunteering at our church office.  I'm basically doing what I was doing in the business world, but I'm getting so much more than monetary value out of it.  My hope is that what I do matters (straight from our pastor's messages and appreciation talks).  I want to make a difference in people's lives and in God's Kingdom.  God has His people in every sector of the world.  From the business world to education to white collar to blue collar and every other collar and non-collared job/trade/profession a person can possibly think.  But we all have the same desire to make a difference.
 
Sometimes God has had me at a place where I would rather not be.  I was at such a place various times in my career.  But I always told myself that God had me there for a reason.  Most of the times I had no idea what that "reason" was, but I knew I needed to trust Him.  And that's what has brought me to where I am today.  I like to refer to myself as a stay at home Granny.  The kids and Lucy won't always be around here, and that time is approaching pretty fast.  So, I am taking advantage of the time I have to spend with not only Lucy, but her parents as well.  I'll admit that I love spending time with my family.  It's been a blessing to see our granddaughter grow over the past 19 months.  And I wouldn't trade this time for anything.

Being where God needs me most ... I wonder where that will be next?  No matter the where but more importantly is that I'm doing what He needs me to do.  There's so much that I want to accomplish so that I can make a lasting difference in my family's lives:  strengthening relationships (my Granny always said that relationships were the most important aspect of life - and I believe her), write (memories, stories, poems), organize our photo-history (to make sure generations to follow knows their heritage).  So much to do, but only in God's timing.

In the next few weeks, I really want to write down some of my earliest memories.  God has truly blessed me beyond my imagination throughout my life.

No comments: